Roxbury boys advance to Stamford Cup finals

By John Bernhardt
Spirits are soaring in Roxbury. The Rockets boys’ soccer team beat Davenport and Schenevus last week to advance to the Mayor’s Cup championship game. Roxbury will try to dethrone defending champion South Kortright Saturday night at Archibald Stadium in Stamford.

Speed on the forward line is a big factor in Roxbury’s early season success. Danny Menne and Spencer Hinkley run like the wind. Hinkley and Menne were a two-man scoring tandem in both of Roxbury’s victories. The Rocket scoring duo both scored a goal and assisted each other as Roxbury battled Davenport to a 2-2 tie after regulation play in the season’s opener.

The two Delaware League rivals fought to a standoff in overtime. The game goes down as a tie on both team’s overall records. A shootout decided which team would move on to the Mayor’s Cup semi-finals with Roxbury advancing, four goals to three.

It was Menne and Hinkley shouldering the load once again as Roxbury downed Schenevus, 3-1, Saturday to reach the championship game. Menne found the nets two times with Hinkley scoring once for the Rockets. Menne and Hinkley assisted one another for the second straight game.

SK advances
South Kortright reached the finals with victories over Jefferson and Stamford. The Rams, defending Mayor’s Cup, Delaware League and Section IV champions, are looking for offensive answers after the graduation of their high scoring tandem, Peter Fabrykiewicz and Eric Reed. Fabrykiewicz and Reed racked up 55 goals and 15 assists last seasons.

SK worked by committee offensively in their opener with three different players scoring as the Rams toppled Jefferson 3-1. Jefferson hit pay dirt early with Jacob Pasa finding C.J. Kemler 15 yards to the right of the goal during the first minute of play. Kemler ripped a shot inside the far pole for the game’s first score.

Six minutes later, Sage Beemer got the goal back for SK. Beemer camped in from of the net then used his six-foot, five-inch frame to convert a Jesse Boest cross for they tying score. The assist was the first of two for Boest on the night.

Trevor Holdridge broke the tie midway through the opening half netting a goal from 12 yards out to the right of the nets. Dylan Cole added a second half goal for SK.
SK downed host Stamford in the semi-finals on Saturday night.