MCS boys off to quick soccer start

By Julia Green
The Margaretville boys’ and girls’ varsity soccer teams posted strong early season results when they faced Milford last Wednesday and Thursday.
The Blue Devil boys received two goals apiece from senior Greg Lehn and junior Tyler Smith in their nonleague game at Milford, which the Blue Devils won, 5-1. The first Margaretville goal came halfway through the first half, when first-year varsity player Ian Williams found the net mere minutes after entering the game as a substitution.
Lehn made it 2-0 12 minutes before the half off a pass from Javi Martinez.
Margaretville goalkeeper Brian Faulkner tallied five saves while Abraham Morales had two assists and Cody Fronckowiak had one for the Blue Devils, who travel to Stamford tonight to face the host Indians at 7 p.m.
The Margaretville girls battled to a 2-1 nonleague victory at Milford on Thursday, led by seniors Erica Faulkner and Amanda Drizis, who combined to score the game-winning goal in the second half.
Milford drew first blood, scoring early in the half off a cross into the box, but Drizis evened it up before halftime with an unassisted goal. The Blue Devils took the lead in the second half, when Faulkner scored from inside the 18-yard box off a pass from Drizis, and the defense was able to stand strong to give the Blue Devils the win.
First-year varsity goalkeeper Megan McKenna tallied 10 saves for Margaretville, who faced the visiting Indians of Stamford yesterday; no score was available at press time.
The Roxbury Central School boys’ and girls’ soccer teams both put in some overtime this week. The Rockets squads participated in the Stamford Mayor’s Cup, where both fell in Wednesday’s first round but battled to overtime contests in Saturday’s games.
The Roxbury girls suffered a tough opening round 3-0 loss to Schenevus, who outshot the Rockets 29-4. The Rockets held Schenevus scoreless through the first quarter of the game, until they tallied a goal with less than 20 minutes remaining in the half. Schenevus struck again shortly after halftime, taking a 2-0 lead less than 10 minutes in. A third goal came with just minutes to play to seal the win for Schenevus. Roxbury goalkeeper Tarah DiBenedetto tallied 14 saves for the Rockets.
The Roxbury girls faced Jefferson in the second game of the tournament on Saturday, in which they battled to a 2-1 loss in overtime.
The Rockets struck first with a goal by Kennedy Faraci 15 minutes into the half, but the J-Hawks tied it up early in the second half. The teams rode the tie through regulation and into overtime, when the JayHawks scored less than a minute in to make it 2-1.
The Roxbury boys’ team battled Jefferson to a scoreless double-overtime tie in Wednesday’s opening round, but fell 3-2 in a penalty kick shoot-out that sent Jefferson to the second round. Kevin Lutz and Ed Williams tallied the shoot-out goals for the Rockets, who received 11 saves from goalkeeper Garrett Hall.
A few days later, the Roxbury boys found themselves at the penalty kick spot once again, following a 2-2 tie with the Wildcats of Gilboa Central School. The Rockets took the lead early in the first half and widened their lead to 2-0, but allowed a goal late in each half to force the game into overtime and into penalty kicks, where the Rockets edged the Wildcats, 3-2.