Man escapes fire that destroyed Roxbury home

By Brian Sweeney
A Roxbury man was left homeless after his house was destroyed in a fire on Saturday night.
Firefighters were called to the Ridge Road home of Harry Sparks shortly after 9 p.m. when a neighbor spotted flames coming from the residence.
Fire Chief Allen Hinkley said that Mr. Sparks was at home when the fire broke out and walked from the “daylight” basement of the home shortly after firefighters arrived at the scene. Mr. Sparks was frightened, but was not injured.
Chief Hinkley said the one-story, two-bedroom home was engulfed in flames when volunteers arrived. The house, which was constructed in the 1960s, was a total loss. An adjacent garage was also destroyed.
The cause of the fire is still under investigation. Chief Hinkley said that early indications point to an electrical malfunction in the kitchen area as a possible source of the blaze.
Mr. Sparks is staying with friends. The Red Cross is assisting Mr. Sparks with obtaining clothing and other necessities.
About 30 firefighters from Roxbury, Halcottsville and Grand Gorge battled the fire. They remained on the scene until about 1 a.m. There were no injuries reported.