Hook, Line and Sinker: July 3, 2013

Despite the rainy weather and warmer temperatures we’ve had over the past weekend, the Pepacton Reservoir has been fishing terrifically well. Al Carpenter of Al’s Sports Store in Downsville, reported on a party of three, Dave and Darren D’Olivo and their cousin Paul from New Jersey, who had the best fishing in a four day trip that they’ve ever had. The D’Olivos have fished the Pepacton for years, and wound up staying over an extra day after the weekend. They reported that in two days of fishing, they caught and released 70 brown trout! Although most were not large fish, all were in very good condition - Paul took a nice brown that weighed seven pounds, seven ounces and measured 23 and-a-half inches and was a very fat fish.

Mike Matichka, also from New Jersey, caught two eight-pound brown trout while fishing by the dam with sawbellies.

Al reported the winners of the Trout Derby for the month of June. Ending up in first place was Jim Conte from Hudson with a brown trout that tipped the scales at 10 pounds, three ounces. The big fish measured 27 and-a-half inches and was taken on a sawbelly.
Second prize was won by John Rutkowski of New Jersey for his nine-pound brown that measured 28 inches in length, also taken on a sawbelly.

And third prize was awarded to Andy Sliziewicz, also from New Jersey, for his eight-pound, 12-ounce brown that measured 26 and-a-quarter inches. Andy also used a sawbelly to catch his prize-winning fish. He also managed to catch two six and-one-quarter brown trout in a row, one on June 29 and one on June 30.
Most trout are still within about 30 feet of water, with a number of baitfish and swirls seen near the top, although one angler mentioned reading fish down deep, and was successful catching a trout while fishing 60 to 80 feet of water

Good Samaritan
On a personal note, we had quite an experience on Saturday after a morning’s fishing. Happy we decided to go out, we dodged the thunderstorms that were predicted; the weather was comfortable out on the water, overcast but with a nice breeze. We finished up at about 11:30 a.m. and returned home to Livingston Manor.

As we brought our rods inside, we realized our tackle box was missing! I had carried it up from the reservoir and set it down in the grass next to the door of the truck to help Ed free up a treble hook that had gotten caught, which was just enough of a distraction from our routine of loading the truck to have forgotten to pick it back up.

As we raced back over the mountain, we had the sinking feeling that we would never again see that box, in which lay many lures that Ed had since he was a youngster. Each had its own story, and conjured up memories of good fish and fishing experiences.
There was the thermometer, the tools, the new lures, and notes on fishing different depths taped to the inside, but unfortunately, no name, address, telephone or other information that could be used to find us!

Good Samaritan
We hoped as we sped along that it would still be there, although we felt it was unlikely, since almost an hour had passed but as we arrived at our destination, we saw a pickup truck where we usually park with a “good Samaritan” inside as we pulled over.
I had barely jumped out of our car when he said, “I have your tackle box!” He said he had seen us fishing there often and was taking it to Al’s Sports Store in the hopes we would find it, and that he had once made the same mistake.
What a relief! And what a happy ending to what could have turned into a very disastrous morning. Fishermen are a special group of people. We were happy that a person we did not even know was honest enough to “do the right thing.” It is apparently a common occurrence, as we, too, have found and returned fishing gear that was inadvertently left behind.
And so, the story ends with a reminder – to have some identification on or in your tackle box.