Hook, Line and Sinker: August 10, 2011

Fishing in the Pepacton Reservoir after the first week in August was pretty productive. Al Carpenter of Al’s Sports Shop in Downsville reported that sawbellies still seem to be the bait of choice and that trout are being caught pretty much all during the day, with most fish being found at about 35-40 feet.

A few nice trout were brought into the store, the largest of which was a beautiful 11-pound, 13-ounce brown taken by John Zielinski, who was up from Pennsylvania. John used a sawbelly to catch the big fish.

Another Pennsylvania fisherman, Phil Golembiowski, was also using a sawbelly when he bagged a nice nine-pound, six-ounce brown trout. And Al Sicina, from downstate brought in a beauty that tipped the scales at 10 pounds, three ounces, also taken on a sawbelly. Phil O’Dell from Downsville was fishing the East Branch near Downsville when he caught a couple of beautiful brown trout that weighed three pounds and two-and-three-quarter pounds respectively.

Fishing in the rain
A couple that went canoeing in the rain on Saturday reported catching six nice brown trout on Rapalas. One measured about 20 inches. They lost a nice fish that would have weighed between four and five pounds.

Bass fishing has been very productive. Al reported that “everyone’s catching bass on sawbellies or crayfish or shiners. They’re biting pretty well.”

Last week marked our annual August canoe trip with our Maryland friends, who have a cabin on the Beaverkill. The date was set for Tuesday, August 2, and we were to meet at our place, as we usually do, by mid-morning. We usually plan on a four-hour float, depending on fishing conditions, with a pull-off for lunch midway. We often canoe the East Branch and Main Delaware, but this time we opted for a different trip, and put in on the West Branch at Deposit.

It was a perfect summer day – weather in the upper 70s, sunny, with blue skies and white puffy clouds, cooled by gentle summer breezes. We started out later than we anticipated, as our friends had a few unexpected turn of events that morning. But nevertheless, we arrived at our destination and unloaded the canoes, and we gals sat chatting under a shade tree while the guys drove to the take-out area in Hancock to leave a car. While awaiting their return, I noticed a few sporadic rises in the pool and thought we might make a few casts.

Starting to get hungry
But it was getting to be way past our lunchtime, and the guys came back hungry, wanting to eat lunch before even getting out on the water.

Once we started our journey in the canoe, we remembered just why we enjoyed these annual trips so much. It was so relaxing to be paddling from time to time, and to feel the cool breezes off the waters of the West Branch, hear the cheerful songbirds and see families of mallards and Canada geese, along with an occasional buck or doe on shore. We never did much fishing, however, as the rises and Sulphur flies we noticed were few and far between – but we felt renewed and rejuvenated by this scenic float through unspoiled waters and verdant shores.

How fortunate are we, who live in this beautiful area. Long may we be able to appreciate all the wonders of nature in our little corner of the world.