Catskill Recreation Center's grand opening "splash" set for June 7
Arkville — The Catskill Recreation Center in Arkville will hold a public Grand Opening ceremony on Saturday, June 7 starting with a ribbon cutting at noon.
The centerpiece of the Catskill Recreation Center (CRC), which is located a 651 County Route 38, is an Olympic-sized pool. The membership-based facility is open for community use and also features a separate pool area for general enjoyment. Following the dedication, the “First Jump into the Pool” will take place at 1 p.m.
The 20,000-square-foot CRC includes approximately 4,000 square feet dedicated as an exercise area. This section features weight machines, stationary cycling and space for yoga, Pilates and similar activities.
A number of community events are planned during part of a weeklong grand opening celebration. The following events are free, regardless of membership status:
Schedule of Events:
Saturday, June 7
• Noon – Ribbon Cutting Ceremony
• 1 p.m. – First Jump Into the Pool – featuring the winner of the CRC Facebook contest.
• 1:30 p.m. – Fund-raising BBQ hosted by the Cub Scouts
Sunday, June 8:
• 11 a.m. – Pilates Class with Ginger
• 3-6 p.m. – Open Swim
Monday, June 9:
• 6-7 p.m. – Zumba with Doris
Tuesday, June 10:
• 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. – Bike Ride, Swim and Boxed Lunch. Please RSVP for this event by June 8 (845 586-6250), to the proper number of lunches can be planned. Sponsored by the Catskill Mountain Cycling Club.
• 6-7 p.m. – Cardio Splash with Dana
Wednesday, June 11:
• 7-8 p.m. – Yoga with Kathy
Thursday, June 12:
• 5-6 p.m. – Water Aerobics with Kathy
Friday, June 13:
• 7:30-9 p.m. – Square Dancing with The Tremperskill Boys, plus hat-making by Wacky Wendy
More events will be added, please visit: catskillrecreationcenter.org or an updated schedule.
CRC Executive Director Dana Lamsal said that operating hours for the summer will be 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. weekdays, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturdays and 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sundays. Hours are subject to change.
Gould family project
The Kingdon Gould Jr. family, which has deep roots in the region, conceived of the Catskill Recreation Center (CRC) and is funding the project. The vision for the CRC is to initially provide an outstanding year-round aquatic center for the neighboring community. The facility will be subsequently expanded into sports and athletic activities as the community may desire and support.
Built by VIP Structures of Syracuse, the $5 million project consists of a 20,000-square-foot building that houses a six-lane Olympic-sized pool, a "family pool" and locker rooms.
The project also includes a separate 4,000-square-foot room that will be used to accommodate other forms of exercise such as spinning on stationary bikes, yoga classes, or exercise on other types of apparatus. A nursery will provide child care space.
In addition to the building and its adjacent parking areas, the CRC complex includes six surrounding acres that will be developed into uses for outdoor recreation. The building has been designed to have an additional structure constructed in the future on its southern end to house facilities such as a gym, tennis complex or an ice hockey rink — depending on the wishes of community members.
The CRC has been in the planning stages for many years and the Gould family is pleased that the project is ready for the public to enjoy. The CRC is forming a board of directors to oversee operations.
Joining the CRC
Memberships by the community will help support the operation of the CRC. Members will have full access to swimming and use of the exercise facilities.
The following membership options are available, with the goal of keeping the facility affordable:
• Adult memberships (25-64) $30 per month or $330 if paid one year in advance.
• Seniors (65+) $25 per month or $275 if paid one year in advance.
• Young Adults (13-24) $25 per month or $275 if paid one year in advance.
• College (proof of 12+ credits) $25 per month or $275 if paid one year in advance.
• Child (6 months-12 years with one paying adult) $10 per month or $110 if paid one year in advance.
• Couple, are $50 per month or $550 if paid one year in advance.
• Family Package (must have one adult and one child/young adult,
- Adults $25 each or $275 if paid one year in advance.
- Young adults $10 each or $110 if paid one year in advance.
- Child $5 each or $55 if paid one year in advance.
• Day use Adults (13+) $10. Child (under 12) $5.
To join, or to receive additional information, please contact Ms. Lamsal at 845 586-6250, e-mail: email@example.com or visit: catskillrecreationcenter.org.