ACS boys top RCS; Blue Devils split in tournament

By Julia Green
The Andes and Roxbury boys battled at Roxbury on Monday, with the Mountaineers emerging with a 3-1 win despite a 1-0 Rockets lead with less than 15 minutes left to play.
Roxbury freshman Spencer Hinkley gave the Rockets the lead minutes before halftime, when he picked up a pass from senior David Clark and created a breakaway that he capitalized on. Hinkely currently leads the Rockets in scoring.
The Rockets held on to their lead for the majority of the second half, until the 14-minute mark, when Corey Barrett scored for Andes to tie it up. Senior Peter Fabrykiewicz gave the Mountaineers the go-ahead goal eight minutes later, heading in a ball that was loose in the box. Fabrykiewicz gave Andes a cushion goal with 40 seconds remaining on the clock.
“Defensively, we looked a little worn down,” said Roxbury Head Coach Tom Faraci. “We let some balls bounce around in the 18, and they hit a great shot and beat Garrett [Hall] – he didn’t really have a chance at that one.”
Hall tallied 14 saves for the Rockets.
“We’re getting our shots, for the most part,” Faraci said. “Most games we’re doing a good job, playing some pretty tough defense and finding a way to stick around and stay in the ball game.”
Faraci said his team has struggled somewhat with the numbers game, having only 13 for some games, which limits them to two players on the bench.
Still, he said, there are technical things he plans to focus on in coming weeks.
“One of our glaring things right now is in the air,” he said. “We’re struggling a little bit to win first touches out of the air, so that’s a thing we need to work on and get better at.
“It starts from the back,” he added. “Garrett is doing a great job in the goal, then my sweeper, Jacob Liberatore, has really shown some good stuff, and in front of him is Ed Williams, and we’ve gotten some tough play out of David Clark. So now I think it’s just going to be a process for us as the year goes on. We just need to continue to improve.”
The Rockets will face host Downsville at 4:15 p.m. on Thursday.

MCS splits
The Margaretville Blue Devils competed in the Hall of Fame Tournament at the National Soccer Hall of Fame complex in Oneonta over the weekend, walking away from the competition with a tie and a win.
In Saturday’s match-up, the Blue Devils battled to a 1-1 tie with a team from Lindenhurst. Margaretville’s lone goal came from senior Javier Martinez, who finished a pass that came from Adrian Zuniga on the right-hand side into the 18-yard box.
“It wasn’t our best effort,” said MCS Head Coach Jeremey Marks. “I didn’t think we did a good job challenging for the ball, challenging to win the first ball. We played much more reactive soccer, which isn’t our style of play.”
Marks said that he felt Sunday’s effort, in which the Blue Devils defeated Cincinnatus 3-1, was a much better showing.
“I thought we came out Sunday with much more of a purpose,” he said. “We made a couple of changes tactically, but for the most part it was a mentality that our guys had from the beginning of the game that set the tone. We were more aggressive trying to win the first ball and did a better job finding people. I thought we passed the ball well, our backs did a nice job winning the ball out of the air, and then when we gained possession in the back, I thought we did a nice job picking our heads up and finding our guys up the field.”
The Blue Devils had a 1-0 lead going into halftime, thanks to a goal off a header from Tyler Smith. Seven minutes into the second half, Cincinnatus tied it up at a goal apiece; however, it didn’t take long for Margaretville to respond, as Abraham Morales sent a bending ball toward the far post with his left foot from the right flank. The ball hit the post and ricocheted into the net.
“It was a rocket,” Marks said of Morales’ goal. “Actually, all three goals were really nice goals.”
Javier Martinez gave the Blue Devils a security goal with just under 10 minutes remaining in the game, scoring off a set piece as he bent the ball around the wall from just outside the 18 and finding the lower right-hand corner.
“I thought we were more organized with our attack,” Marks said. “We didn’t rush things. We kind of took what they gave us at first and did a better job playing to space and moving to space.”
Marks said he felt the weekend was a good gauge of what his team can do, but also a clear indication of what they need to work on as the season progresses.
“Right now we’re just trying to be more consistent,” he said. “We show signs of playing very well, but then other times we come out and we’re not ready to play. And I still think there’s a small sense of ‘We can step on the field and it’s just going to happen for us,’ where in reality we need to make it happen.
“We need to come out to every game ready to play as a team, focused on the task at hand and not take any opponent lightly or take anyone for granted. We need to come out and play our game, and do the little things we need to do to be successful.”