About The Catskill Mountain News
The Catskill Mountain News is the oldest continually operating business in the Town of Middletown, tracing its roots to July 7, 1863 when it was first published in Margaretville as The Utilitarian. Another newspaper, the Margaretville Messenger, was first published in the community 1894.
On July 1, 1902 the Margaretville Messenger was sold to W.E. Eels who renamed the paper the Catskill Mountain News. Two years later, in 1904, Eels died suddenly and the News was sold to Clark A. Sanford. In 1918 Sanford purchased The Utilitarian and merged it with the Catskill Mountain News.
Clark Sanford published the News for 60 years, from 1904 until his death in 1964. Among his other business interests, Sanford built the Galli Curci Theatre, owned the Sanford Chevrolet Company and was a principal in the People’s National Bank of Margaretville, which later merged with NBT.
His son Roswell R. Sanford began work at the paper when he returned home from WWII service in 1945. He performed a number of functions at the paper and then took on the publisher’s mantle in 1964 following the death of his father. He continued in that capacity until his death in 1985.
Richard D. Sanford began work at the News in September 1973 after having attended college in Denver, Colo., and worked in the hotel business. He began his career as an advertising salesman. Following his father’s death in 1985 he took over as publisher and continues in that capacity today.
The Catskill Mountain News currently serves the Delaware County towns of Andes, Bovina, Middletown and Roxbury and the Ulster County town of Shandaken.