The day after Thanksgiving, 1948, the Catskill Mountain News reported on several fires in the previous week. The Arkville Laundry burned, suspiciously, at midnight, the Saturday before Thanksgiving. Fifty-thousand dollars worth of equipment and machinery were lost. In the river hamlet, Pepacton, a chimney fire took John Shaver’s farmhouse, destroying 500 quarts of canned fruits and vegetables, and the winter supply of potatoes.
Stan’s Tavern, in Arena, advertised steamed clams, “fresh from natural Long Island clam beds,” and platters of French fries.